Limited Edition of 16 screen prints, hand pulled on 300gsm Fabriano 5 smooth paper.
460mm x 315mm
The artwork is part of a series that was originally displayed on a commercial size billboard in Bethnal Green in 2015. The works illustrate the history of the Bethnal Green Nature Reserve since the 18th century, a site that has seen nurture, worship, violence then nurture again.
About the Series
East London’s rural past is now invisible throughout most of the borough and the Bethnal Green Nature Reserve site is a rare example of a place where it is still possible to have a sense of continued history.
Over four months in 2015 artist Tal Brosh has produced an illustrated history of the BGNR in four incarnations: a medieval meadow and market garden, a Victorian church, a war-time bomb site and now an apothecary garden called Phytology. The works were displayed on a commercial size billboard on site.
About the 1800 print:
In 1839 the Bishop of London called Bethnal Green ‘one of the most desolate parishes’. He undertook to build ten new churches, and in 1842 the acreage was bought and work on St Jude’s began. The church took four years to build and finally opened its doors in 1846. It was a grand church, big enough to hold one thousand worshipers, and performed an active social function with library, food kitchen, institute and school.