Limited Edition of 10 screen prints, hand pulled on 300gsm Fabriano 5 smooth paper.
460mm x 315mm
The artwork is part of a series that was originally displayed on a commercial size billboard in Bethnal Green in 2015. The works illustrate the history of the Bethnal Green Nature Reserve since the 18th century, a site that has seen nurture, worship, violence then nurture again.
About the Series
East London’s rural past is now invisible throughout most of the borough and the Bethnal Green Nature Reserve site is a rare example of a place where it is still possible to have a sense of continued history.
Over four months in 2015 artist Tal Brosh has produced
an illustrated history of the BGNR in four incarnations: a medieval meadow and market garden, a Victorian church, a war-time bomb site and now an apothecary garden called Phytology. The works were displayed on a commercial size billboard on site.
About the 1700 print:
Records and old maps show that elds, market gardens and nursery gardens persisted here from medieval times. 1717 records describe the area as ’47 acres of meadow and pasture’. When industrialisation arrived in the 19th Century it brought urban poverty with it and an end to rural Bethnal Green.