This year, the world is commemorating 400 years since the death of William Shakespeare. With the anniversary falling this Saturday 23rd April, what better time to celebrate the life, work and legacy of this playwright, poet, actor, and arguably the greatest writer ever in the English language!
In honour of the Bard we've pulled together 10 of his most famous quotes, paired with our favourite Shakespearean artwork.
Without further ado...
1. "Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them". - (Act II, Scene V, Twelfth Night).
(The Theatre, Adam Dant, Limited Edition three colour chiaroscuro woodcut of 60)
2. "My Oberon! what visions have I seen! Methought I was enamoured of an ass.." (Act IV, Scene I, A Midsummer Nights Dream)
(Midsummer Night's Dream, An Gee Chan, Limited Edition Screenprint of 60)
3. “O, beware, my lord, of jealousy; It is the green-ey'd monster, which doth mock the meat it feeds on." (Act III, Scene III, Othello)
(Othello, Sarah Simmonds, Limited Edition Photo - Lithograph of 60)
4. "Can one desire too much of a good thing?". - (Act IV, Scene I, As You Like It).
(Will.M.Shakes (and Ices), Mark Hampson, Limited Edition Screenprint of 60)
5. "Come, you spirits that tend on mortal thoughts, unsex me here, and fill me from the crown to the toe top-full of direst cruelty!." (Act I, Scene V, Macbeth).
(Lady Macbeth, Justyna Kabala, Limited Edition Photo-Lithograph of 60)
6. "To be, or not to be: that is the question". - (Act III, Scene I, Hamlet).
(Skull, 57 Design, Limited Edition Print of 25)
7. "All the world 's a stage, and all the men and women merely players. They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" - (Act II, Scene VII, As You Like It).
(William Shakespeare's Shordiche, Adam Dant, Limited Edition Hand Coloured Print of 100)
8. “See how she leans her cheek upon her hand. O, that I were a glove upon that hand that I might touch that cheek!” - (Act II, Scene II, Romeo and Juliet).
(Gold, Yellow Precious Glittering Gold - Hamlet, Nigel Rolfe, Limited Edition Screenprint & Photo Lithograph of 50)
9. "As in a theatre, the eyes of men, after a well-grac'd actor leaves the stage, are idly bent on him that enters next, thinking his prattle to be tedious.." - (Act II, Scene VII, As You Like It)
(Come-Dies, Ann-Marie Lequesne, Limited Edition Photo Lithograph of 60)
10. "Goodnight! Goodnight! Parting is such sweet sorrow That I shall say goodnight 'til it be morrow." (Act II, Scene II, Romeo and Juliet).
(Exit Stage, Justin Larkin, Limited Edition Lithograph and Photo Etching of 60)
In light of the celebrations we are discounting our Shakespeare Tote Bags from £30 to £20. Huzza!